Virtually all NAC families live in poverty. Many struggle to meet their bills and put food on the table. There is little left over at the end of the month for such “luxury” items as a new book or toy for their child. By sending an item on NAC’s Wish List or from NAC's Amazon.com Wishlist, you give hope to a family and make a significant difference in the life of a child.
Matching & In-Kind Gifts:
Volunteers can also help support us through matching grants or in-kind donations from their employers as a result of their work with NAC. Employee groups and volunteers have contributed generously by holding company drives to collect new books; backpacks and school supplies; toys; non-perishable food for our food pantry, and clothing items for infants through young adults.
- Bath towels
- Bed linens (for twin, full, or queen size beds)
- Toys for infants and toddlers (musical toys, educational toys, flashcards, toy trains)
- Coloring books, crayons and art supplies
- School Supplies (book bags, notebooks, calculators, pens, pencils)
- Baby and children’s clothing
- Teen clothing
- Gift Certificates to the GAP, Old Navy, Payless Shoes, Barnes & Noble, H & M
Items on the Wish List for NAC children and families must be new and can be shipped directly to NAC at: NAC Wish List, 37 West 26th Street, New York, NY 10010 or visit NAC’s Amazon Wish List for a more convenient way to donate to a NAC child or family.
Other Ways You Can Help
Sponsor a NAC family’s needs. Learn about a NAC family in need and how you can help. A donation to the family can be made either through a product or monetary gift, which is based on individual items needed for a specific family. Needs can range from a new bed for a child, a dining table and chairs, a high chair or crib, or a new computer for a teenager who is starting college.
Corporate & Group Drives. Make a difference in the life of a NAC family. Get a group together to donate items, package them and present them directly to needy NAC children and families. Some ideas include:
- Housewarming Gift Baskets for formerly homeless families. Every year dozens of NAC Families move out of a homeless shelter into new, safe and accessible housing. A great way to help them start their new life is to create and present them with a Housewarming Basket. Needed items include: kitchen utensils, kitchen towels, cleaning supplies, toiletries, bath linens, bed linens, picture frames or photo books.
- Welcome Home Baskets for children coming home from the hospital or being reunified with a birth family after being in foster care. Transitioning from one setting to another is often traumatic for most children. Help to make a child’s first night home feel safe and comfortable. Baskets can include a nightlight, stuffed animal, blanket, books, coloring book and crayons, photo frame or photo book.
- School Supply Drive. Every fall, many NAC children start their first day of school without a notebook, book bag or pencil. Help NAC’s children succeed in school by planning a school drive. Needed items include notebooks, book bags, binders, pens and pencils, markers, calculators, rulers, folders, children’s scissors and glue.
- Book Drive. Every November, NAC holds the Literacy for All Book Fair where hundreds of NAC children pick out new board, paper and chapter books. NAC gives away over 1,000 books and needs your help to make sure every child goes home with a book.
- Holiday Drive. Help to make the holidays a little brighter by sponsoring a Holiday Gift Drive. Every NAC child – 1,400 and counting – is presented with a new wrapped gift in December. Help us to make dreams come true by fulfilling NAC children’s holiday wish lists.
- Sponsor an arts & crafts activity at the NAC Holiday Party in December or Kids Olympics in June. Choose an arts & crafts activity, such as making king and queen crowns, picture frames, hand puppets or another appropriate craft project for children of different ages and abilities. Bring a group to volunteer to the event and work one-on-one with NAC children on your arts & crafts project.
For more information on organizing any of the above projects, contact our Volunteers Department, at volunteers@NacKidsCan.org or 212-696-1550
Copyright© 2008-2019 New Alternatives for Children, Inc.
37 West 26th St. New York, NY 10010 | 1775 Grand Concourse Bronx, NY 10453